Hey y’all, let me introduce myself!
My name is Roxanne Young and I was born and raised in Florida. I’ve been coming to the mountains since even before I was born! I was practically born with boots on my feet and a fist full of dirt in my hands. My heart has always been in this beautiful, healing place; I moved here six years ago and have never looked back. Horses have always been a part of my life and I have managed to make them a part of my living, breathing moments each and every day.
From being a veterinary technician for 25 years to having my own training and breeding facility, I have experienced some incredible things in my life and am very blessed to have made this journey. My equine disciplines have been English to Western. I have traveled all over the Southeastern United States and out West barrel racing for 20 years. For the past 15 years, I have been the Florida gate director at one of the largest barrel racing associations in the country.
Stable Rates for Rides - Individual and Couples only
To make a reservation, you will need to contact Roxanne directly and secure your date/time with a credit card. All lessons and rides will need to be paid with cash or check when you arrive, and there is a 24-hour cancellation policy. During our peak seasons, it is highly recommended that you make reservations at least two weeks in advance.
Lessons$50 1-Hour Ride $45 1 1/2-Hour Ride $65 2-Hour Ride $80
Riding is available 11am-1pm for 1-3 guest. Arrangements can be made for larger groups at a riding stable nearby.
You can contract Roxanne to make arrangements for rides and lessons.
Some guidelines that will help you fully enjoy your ride!
- Arrive a little early so we have time to pick out the perfect horse for you.
- Dress for the season! If you have an early morning or late evening ride, bring along a sweater. Even in the summer, remember you are in the mountains.
- Jeans are best – but not too tight!
- Wear boots, or if you don’t have boots, wear shoes that are narrow and fit securely on your feet.
- NO FLIP FLOPS or any kind of open-toed shoes.
- If you have to wear sunglasses, wear inexpensive ones.
- Do not wear expensive jewelry or wallets (they may fall out of your back pocket).
- Do not bring your cell phone. There are no phone calls or texting allowed while riding. We want you to be fully present and enjoy the peace and quiet.
- Don’t have too much to drink before you arrive. If we think you are impaired, you will not be allowed to ride.
- If you bring a camera, be sure it has a strap you can put around your wrist or neck so you won’t drop it.
- Please don’t kick and pull back on the reins at the same time. This confuses the horses.
- Please don’t shake the reins up and down in order to make the horse move. This hurts their mouth and makes them throw their head up.
- Please do not tailgate, as horses do not like that, particularly the females. Always keep space between your horse and others.
- No racing!
- Always stay behind the lead guide and do not pass.
- If you have problems before or during your ride, please advise the guides. That is why they are there – to help you!
Thank you for following our rules and enjoy your ride!
BASIC BARN RULES:
The Horses point of view:
- Please be nice to us, but not too nice, because we will take advantage of the opportunity of you not paying attention!
- Pet us – we love it – but firmly. Barely touching us tickles us and we think you are a fly (so we might swat at you).
- Remember, we love treats, but only use the ones provided for us. And not too many, because we can get a belly ache.
- Do not scream, run, or play in the alleyway of the barn. We are very aware of our surroundings, and if you do that we may think something is wrong and become scared.
- Do not open stall doors and come into our bedrooms – you don’t know us and we don’t know you, so please respect our privacy. You can, however, pet me all you want through my window.
Basic Barn Rules:
- Please, NO SMOKING in the barn. There is a place out in front of the barn where you can sit and enjoy and discard your cigarettes.
- No one is allowed in the barn without a 5 Star Lodge and Stable employee.
- No one is allowed in the Medicine and Tack Room.
Thank you for following our Rules and please enjoy your stay at The 5 Star Lodge & Stables!